Comfort foods are amongst our feel good repertoires. When you’re enjoying them, it’s as if you’re getting a hug with every bite. It makes us feel nice and warm on the inside – all the more reason to crave them! This dish is going to blow your socks off! You will eat it knowing you’re doing your mind, soul, and most importantly your stomach and health a huge favour.
This version will have you fall in love with comfort foods all over again, because this is by far the best Mac and Cheese you will ever experience! Period. Not only is it amazing, but it’s a much healthier and a more nutritional option than traditionally consumed because of the ingredients used. And although it’s vegan, you won’t be able to tell the difference.
Give this recipe a go tonight – you’ll be glad you did!
Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese Yields: 1 large dish – serves 6-8 comfortably
2C quinoa pasta (or pasta of choice)
2C reserved pasta water
1C Silk brand Original Almond milk or coconut milk
2 1/2C Daiya cheddar shreds
1 1/2C Daiya mozzarella shreds
1/4C nutritional yeast
1/8Tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2Tsp sea salt
1C panko bread crumbs
1/4C olive oil
1tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and have desired baking dish handy and set aside.
2. Fill a large pot with water and set on stove on high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, add about 2 teaspoon salt and then add quinoa pasta, stirring occasionally. Cook for 8 minutes, until almost ‘al dente’ but not quite yet.
4. Pour water out but be sure to reserve the 2 cups of pasta water to make the sauce.
5. In a large pan, combine pasta water with 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on high heat, and whisk briskly until cheeses melt, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Slowly add almond/coconut milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and add nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and salt. Stir often until concoction slightly thickens and becomes a nice creamy sauce.
7. Add pasta to creamy sauce and stir to fully combine and allow pasta to soak up the goodness in that sauce!
8. Pour macaroni into baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses.
9. Place panko in a bowl. Then, in a small pan, heat olive oil on high for a few minutes. Add to panko crumbs and stir with a spoon to ensure all of the bread crumbs have soaked up the oil. Add salt and stir to combine.
10. Layer panko crumbs on top of cheeses and place baking dish in the oven for 15 minutes, until cheeses have melted and the bread crumbs are a beautiful golden colour.
Tip: If after said time the bread crumbs haven’t browned, change to broil setting but watch your dish like a hawk! Do not leave the oven! All you’ll need is about 30 seconds if set on Hi and you should be able to achieve that gorgeous colour.
11. Remove from oven and enjoy!
This will change the way you’ve always known ‘mac and cheese’ to be! You will never look at it the same way again ;)
And feel free to indulge in this scrumptious dish because the ingredients are healthy, wholesome, and nutritious!
Bon appétit! xo