You’re going to fall in love with this vegetable all over again. It’s rich in vitamins and minerals, looks like tiny trees, and that green color is striking!
Broccoli’s great raw with hummus dip, steamed as a side, and baked in a hot dish – especially a cheesy one. This meal is quick and easy, tastes great, and simple to put together, which is always a plus when you don’t have much time to cook or aren’t sure what to make.
These Cheesy Broccoli Mushroom Rolls are perfect for last minute dinners or lunch ideas, and also great as party appetizers. They’re allergen friendly (dairy, egg, soy, peanut, tree nut, sesame, mustard, fish, and shellfish free), vegan, colorful, and kid-approved as always… well, most of the time – I’m not going to even pretend.
If you make it, I’d love to see your pictures so don’t forget to #nodairynocry and tag @nodairynocry on instagram so I can see your food!
- 1 broccoli, finely chopped stems removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise)
- ¼-1/2 tsp sea salt, to desired taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder, OR, 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 phyllo dough, thawed
- 5-8 dairy free Mozzarella cheese slices, halved
- preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine chopped broccoli, olive oil, vegan mayonnaise, salt, and garlic. Set aside.
- Place a sheet of phyllo on a clean work surface and brush or use your hand to apply some olive oil all over phyllo sheet, concentrating especially around the edges.
- Place a second layer on top and follow above step. Repeat 2 more times.
- Drop half of the broccoli mixture onto prepared phyllo sheets, in a line fashion (see pic), about 3 inches from the edge.
- Fold phyllo over broccoli and gently roll until completely rolled up.
- Place rolled phyllo onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 3-7 with the second roll.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until phyllo is light, crispy, and dark golden in color.
- Remove, cut to desired sizes, and enjoy!