Enjoying a hot bowl of soup isn’t typically what comes to mind in the scorching summer heat. You’d be surprised though at how versatile it can be. Although synonymous with cold weather, soup is a great end-to-your-day meal, and it’s also perfect on those cool summer nights when a warm bowl cupped in your hands is life. Of course, soup is quintessential when you’re not feeling your best. As is the case with my family, who have managed to catch a bug that has left them with sore throats and runny noses.
This soup was inspired by a local restaurant my husband and I frequented before Munsur was old enough to realize what a restaurant was. Nowadays, our rare outings are referred to as “dad and I are going out for coffee” so my sense of guilt isn’t consuming. But guilt aside, eating out is quality time spent with your significant other, not to mention how inspired I get by the presentation and interpretation of different dishes. So that’s always a positive :)
This Coconut Chicken Soup is loaded with fresh ginger, lemongrass, and chicken broth. And coconut milk is silky smooth when it goes down. We’ve been enjoying it the last couple of days and I can see myself having a bowl of this every night. It’s that good. It’s an anytime soup – comforting, soothing, refreshing, and pure delicious.
I’ve revamped this recipe and hope you’ll love it as much as I do. It’s creamy, smooth, fragrant, easy to make, fresh, and loaded with good-for-you ingredients. How can you not make this soup after that description!?
Be sure to stay in touch like you always do on social media and of course here! xo, Laila
- 6 c chicken broth
- 3.5 c full fat coconut milk
- 1 c previously cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed and minced OR
- 7-10 drops food-grade lemongrass essential oil
- 3 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Handful cilantro leaves and stems, finely chopped
- sea salt to taste
- 1 c grape tomatoes
- Extra cilantro leaves to garnish
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth to a rolling boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and add coconut milk, chicken, lemongrass, and ginger. Cover pot and allow ingredients to simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove cover, add lime zest and its juice, cilantro, and salt to taste. Stir a couple of times, taste, and adjust desired salt content.
- Ladle soup into desired bowls, place a few grape tomatoes in each bowl, and top with fresh cilantro leaves.