Supremely decadent. Incredibly smooth, dark, and chocolatey. I give you: Fudgy Avocado Brownies.
This was one of the desserts I made for my husband for Father’s Day; the other one was my homemade Bounty Bars.
Remember how I said something like you don’t need to gift or make chocolate things for Father’s Day… well I totally lied. Because yes of course you most definitely must make something with chocolate for any special occasion no exceptions. Well… maybe a couple of exceptions :)
It doesn’t have to be a special day either, to be honest, because any day is good enough for chocolate! #amiright
I’ve already made these brownies more than 10 times. And I actually am overbuying avocados and secretly hoping they ripen quickly so that I can make another batch of them. I’m sneaky like that.
Like many of you, I too have a sweet tooth. So making desserts that are on the healthier side is something I strive to do so I can enjoy my slice, or piece, or the pan. You get it. I have so many desserts I enjoy eating, and these Fudgy Avocado Brownies are no exception. They’re on the top of my list of fav treats.
I love that they’re so decadent there’s no way you’d think they’re healthy. But they are. Totally. Let’s dissect this statement: there’s no sugar added in this recipe (save for the tiny amount in the dark chocolate). Less than a cup of flour. Good healthy fats. So chocolatey and rich.
It’s a super simple recipe to whip up, and in about 35 minutes you’ll have the perfect, healthier version of what you grew up eating and loving.
These Fudgy Avo Brownies are free from:
- tree nuts
They can also be made completely vegan but I hesitated to include that in the free from section just because I actually loved the combo of honey and maple syrup in this recipe. However, they tasted super chocolatey when I strictly used maple syrup, and they had a bit of a zing when I used all honey.
So my favorite way to make them is to use both sweeteners equally, but you do what’s best for you. All three ways work really well, it’s just a matter of preference.
I bet you could also make these avo brownies gluten free as well, since there’s little amount of flour used in this recipe. I’ll try making a gluten free version and report back soon.
If you end up swapping the flour for a gf flour please let me know how it turned out for you.
Let me know what you think in the comments and/or snap a pic and show me what you made on insta. I love hearing from you.
Happy healthy indulgence!! xx
Fudgy Avocado Brownies
- 3/4 C flour
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 1/4 Tsp sea salt
- 1/2 C honey or maple syrup if vegan
- 1/2 C maple syrup
- 1 avocado, mashed ~ 1/2 C + 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 C coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Have an 8" x 8" pan lightly greased, dusted with cocoa powder, and lined with parchment paper at the bottom. Set aside
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk well: mashed avocado, honey and/or maple syrup, and coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Heat coconut milk until hot (just before it boils) and pour over chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate completely melts. Then pour melted chocolate into the avocado mix, and whisk very well until you get it as smooth and silky as possible.
- In another large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add avocado mix to dry mix, and using a spatula or a wooden spoon, stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan, and place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes. See NOTES for times.
- Remove and allow to slightly cool before diving in.