The winter season has officially begun – and it welcomed me as I made my way back from my trip to Maryland. I spent last weekend there and met some wonderful people. It’s always hard when I leave my family and take solo trips, but this one was a special weekend I couldn’t miss. From what I saw, Maryland is a beautiful state. I left saturday morning and came back sunday afternoon – not much time to see everything but I’m sure I’ll go back there soon :) When I got back, the first thing I did after hugging my kids for what seemed like forever, was make this soup. It’s such a comfort food and it warms your soul and seems to make everything more tolerable – arctic weathers included.
The words healthy and creamy seldom go together. But in this case, they most certainly do. The creaminess is achieved from puréed oats and I’m telling you, this is the best soup you’ll have. I remember always getting cream of broccoli soup at my university’s cafeteria, thinking it was a healthy option..but clearly that wasn’t true. It had butter, cheeses, cream, and msg from the bouillon cube! Gross. But when you’re at that age, you’re generally not as concerned about the ingredients or your diet. If I knew then what I know now – I’d never have eaten outside food; or at least, I would’ve opted for truly healthier meals.
I assure you, this soup is nothing like the cafeteria variety – it’s real food, real superfood ingredients, delicious and is too easy not to make. You and your family will love this soup – It’s creamy, full of flavor, easy to make, made in one pot, and über healthy. It’s also priority allergen free plus more. It’s absolutely the perfect soup to have, especially around this time of year.
Let me know how much you liked it on here or on instagram!
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, or cooking oil of choice
- 4 small broccoli stems, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 1 c fast cooking oats
- 2¾ c chicken broth
- 2¼ c water
- 2½ c broccoli florets
- salt to taste
- In a pot, heat oil on medium high and add chopped broccoli stems, onion, leek, and celery. Stir from time to time until vegetables sweat - about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and oats, and stir to incorporate and slightly toast the oats, about 2 minute.
- Next, add chicken broth and water, stirring once or twice, then allow soup mixture to come to a rolling boil. Cook for approximately 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove pot from heat, and using a hand blender, purée the soup until it becomes creamy and smooth. Season with salt, to taste.
- Return pot to heat, turning it to low, and add the broccoli florets. Cook for a minute.
- Serve soup hot or warm, with crackers as a main meal or as is as a side dish.