Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes.
You ready for this one??
Lemon is a rockstar fruit!
I love everything about lemons, from its name (which happens to be my sister’s nickname), to its vibrant sunny yellow color, to its distinct sour taste. And let’s not forget how amazing it smells – fresh, clean, and inviting.
My mom used to make us her classic lemon pound cake every week growing up. To this day, anytime I smell lemon and vanilla together, I think back to the bowl with leftover batter she’d leave for us to lick clean.
Those were the good old days!
This cupcake recipe will become a fav in your home
Like my mother’s pound cake, this recipe is a breeze to make and requires one bowl so virtually no clean up. And as always, they’re allergy friendly – naturally vegan too.
Speaking of which, these Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes are free from the following:
- tree nuts
- animal products
I’ve been digging the mini cupcake size lately – maybe because I don’t feel as bad eating them? It feels easier to justify anyway. Plus they’re so darn cute!
Big or small, I promise you’re going to LOVE these cupcakes! Your kitchen will be filled with that heavenly citrus scent that I wish I could bottle.
Until then, I’ll enjoy zesting and re-zesting if it means a trip down memory lane. :)
Ways to serve
A simple dusting of sugar is all you need to finish off the look, or you can pipe your fav frosting on top, or serve them as is since this recipe is plenty sweet. Thankfully, the tartness from the lemons in this recipe balances the taste perfectly. See, there’s that balance word again ;)
What’s your favorite childhood recipe/dessert? Let me know in comments! I’d love to recreate them for you if they’re not allergy friendly already!
When you try this recipe, leave me a comment below to let me know what you thought of it. And don’t forget to rate this (and any of my other recipes you try) as this helps Google find me – apparently it sucks at hide-and-seek ;)
Let’s stay social too! You’ll find me posting daily on my stories where I share what I’m making that day (hint: it’s a ton of stuff!!) and I try to do weekly LIVES where I show you how I make one of my many recipes from NDNC :) so be sure you’re following me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Happy baking. xx
Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
- 3 C flour
- 2 C sugar
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest (from ~ 3 lemons)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (from ~ 1 lemon)
- 1 C unsweetened coconut milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
- 3/4 C seed or light tasting vegetable oil (I use grapeseed oil)
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add sugar and whisk well with dry ingredients.
- Then, in a bowl or a large measuring cup, briefly mix together lemon zest, lemon juice, milk, and oil, then add to the dry ingredients and using a spatula, mix until combined.
- Add the poppy seeds and give it a few more strokes to incorporate into batter.
- Divide batter evenly into liners, give the pan a couple of light taps then place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool before enjoying. Dust lightly with icing sugar or add your frosting - if desired.