After all that conscious effort to preparing and eating healthy this month, why not end it on a sweet note?
Finding the perfect balance between eating clean and overindulging is crucial if we want to stay on the path to wellness.
So now that we’ve given each other permission to indulge (thanks!!) – let’s talk about these lemony morsels of goodness – Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes :D
True they’re not as healthy as my Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl or the Roasted Carrot Bisque or even the Lentil Chickpea salad, But lemons are a fruit, which means enjoying a cupcake or two or five would help fulfill your required fruit intake for the day. Am I right!? Only answer if you agree haha :D
I love everything about a lemon, from its name (which happens to be my sister’s nickname) to its vibrant sunny yellow color, to its distinctive sour taste. And let’s not forget how amazing it smells – fresh, clean, and inviting.
Mother used to make us her classic lemon pound cake and to this day, anytime I smell lemon and vanilla together, I think back to the leftover batter she’d leave for us to lick clean.
Those were the good old days!
Like my mother’s pound cake, this recipe is a breeze to make and requires one bowl so virtually no clean up. And as always, they’re allergy friendly – and naturally vegan too.
Speaking of which, these Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes are free from the following:
- tree nuts
- animal products
I’ve been digging the mini cupcake size lately – maybe because I don’t feel as bad eating them? It feels easier to justify anyway. Plus they’re so darn cute!
Big or small, I promise you’re going to LOVE these cupcakes! Your kitchen will be filled with that heavenly citrus scent that I wish I could bottle.
Until then, I’ll enjoy zesting and rezesting if it means a trip back to memory lane :)
A simple dusting of sugar is all you need to finish off the look, or you can pipe your fave frosting on top, or serve them as is since this recipe is plenty sweet. Thankfully, the tartness from the lemons in this recipe balances the taste perfectly. See, there’s that balance word again ;)
What’s your favorite childhood recipe/dessert? Let me know in comments! I’d love to recreate them for you if they’re not allergy friendly already!
When you try this recipe, hit me with your feedback. You know how much I love to read what you have to say :D
Happy baking. xx
Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
- 3 C flour
- 2 C sugar
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest (from ~ 3 lemons)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (from ~ 1 lemon)
- 1 C unsweetened coconut milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
- 3/4 C seed or light tasting vegetable oil (I use grapeseed oil)
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add sugar and whisk well with dry ingredients.
- Then, in a bowl or a large measuring cup, briefly mix together lemon zest, lemon juice, milk, and oil, then add to the dry ingredients and using a spatula, mix until combined.
- Add the poppy seeds and give it a few more strokes to incorporate into batter.
- Divide batter evenly into liners, give the pan a couple of light taps then place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool before enjoying. Dust lightly with icing sugar or add your frosting - if desired.