April is already upon us – just a couple of months left and you’ll be wondering what to do with the kids. How about making these PERFECT Crispy Marshmallow Treats with them – except do it now instead of waiting until summer!
Making “rice krispies” is nothing new; melt butter, add marshmallows, stir, add rice cereal, stir to combine, let set in a pan.
So what makes these PERFECT Crispy Marshmallow Treats stand out? It’s the extra marshmallows that makes them gooey soft, and the vanilla that brings back sweet childhood memories. It’s also that hint of sea salt that brings out the flavors in these treats. Oh and, not pressing so hard in the pan so the rice cereal keeps its crunch and lightness.
These amazing treats are even more special though because they’re free from most common allergens! Free from dairy, egg, peanut, tree nuts, wheat, and gluten, to be exact. Oh and also vegan. And they’re also much healthier and I’ll tell you why – the cereal I used is organic, naturally sweetened, and free from yucky BHT, and the marshmallows are kosher, halal, and vegan (cereal and marshmallow names in recipe card).
Whichever cereal and marshmallow brand you decide to use will still yield incredible results. I use certain brands to justify eating more of everything I make… I figure if it’s healthier, it must be good for me to have.
Just make them. *you’re welcome in advance*
They’re a no-bake, easy clean-up, practically mess-free dessert that can be made with the kids. Turn the mix into different shapes using your hands or cookie cutter shapes, or make perfect individual pieces by gently pressing them into lightly greased muffin tin pans! Enormously goooood.
I’ve been so busy this past month talking and collaborating with a few brands (aaaah!!), and my photo shoots as well. It’s so much fun – I really love it! In the last few weeks I shot for Bed Bath and Beyond, McCafe, Nestle, and even Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Spring Edition. Look for them on social media and online! I’ll be doing the same :D
In the meantime, be sure to make these truly soft and crunchy Perfect Crispy Marshmallow Treats! The only thing I should mention is you’ll want to double the batch because…you might just end up eating most of the treats yourself. Go ahead, I won’t judge.
If you make this recipe or any of my other recipes, please be sure to take a minute and leave a comment – let me know how you liked them, your thoughts/feedback, and rate the recipes – it helps me out a lot and even more so, helps this blog.
- ½ c plus 2 tsp vegan butter, like Earth Balance
- 7 c mini marshmallows, like Dandies
- 6 c crispy rice cereal, like Nature's Path Organics
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt (~1/8tsp)
- Place rice cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large pan and on medium low heat, melt the ½ cup vegan butter.
- As soon as the butter's almost melted, add salt and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Quickly add 4 cups of the marshmallows, stirring constantly until fully melted. Turn heat off and add remaining 3 cups marshmallows - stir a few times to get the marshmallows to really soften and just about start to melt.
- Add melted marshmallows to rice cereal and stir to fully combine, using a buttered spatula or buttered hands.
- You can shape marshmallow treats free-handedly, or use a muffin tin: use the 2 teaspoons of butter to lightly grease the muffin cavities before placing marshmallow cereal mix into each tin cavity, gently pressing down - avoid pressing too hard so you don't crush the cereal.
- Let cool and set before enjoying!