The hiatus is over, my friends!! I’m back and ready to share some amazing recipes I’ve been testing and making (and eating) the last little bit. You’re going to love them. :) Like these to-die-for Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls. Get close to your screen and take a big whiff!!
Sooooo much gooey goodness.
But first, where the heck have I been….
Well, wish I could tell you I took the time off to travel the world or something awesome like that… but truth is, life just got really busy. Like very busy.
The bulk of the summer was spent with family who came from out of town. So you can imagine the daily visits, hosting, sleepovers, and cousins wanting to be together 24/7.
Munsur made the Junior Knights team which is a huge deal for our hometown hockey!! Kinda very ridiculously proud of him.
I signed up Sofia for ballet.
Kung Fu Panda 1/2/3 were also on repeat all summer, so naturally she decided she wanted to be a samurai ninja cat. Like Tigress. So I put her in karate too.
And we took a family vacation to a small town in the east coast. Our first trip in 6 years!! We rented a place so I had a kitchen to make all the meals. Kids had a blast. We were by the sea. It was amazing and much needed. Can’t wait to go back :)
So I made the decision not to post anything for the remainder of the summer and instead spent the time with my kids because summers are really for them anyway. They loved that I wasn’t on the computer or my phone… and I kinda liked it too to be honest.
Not having to worry about what to post and what to instagram felt nice. For like a month and a half.
No more of that though! It feels great to be back. Thanks to those who checked in and have been patiently waiting for more recipes.
The wait is over … and you rock!
Back to the rolls!
Fall is upon us, so what better way to spend the cooler weather than by making, eating, and sharing (if at all possible*) these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls.
These rolls are perfect year round but especially around this time because they embody wonderful fall flavors like nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, and of course, pumpkin.
They’re great right out of the oven, warm, soft, melt-in-your-mouth, and utterly spectacular. If you’re a frosting fan, then slather that good stuff on and thank me later!
* Sharing is possible but not probable. And no one will fault you for it because they’re that good!
I’ve made them a dozen times and we can’t stop eating them. Not us, not our friends, or our neighbors. You’re going to LOVE them too, I promise you. :)
Happy baking xx
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- 4 C flour
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 1/4 Tsp active dry yeast, or 1 packet
- 1 Tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 C very warm dairy-free milk
- 1/2 C coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 C pumpkin puree, room temp I used canned
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp cloves
- 1 Tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, softened
- 1 3/4 C icing sugar
- 1/2 C vegan butter, I used Earth Balance brand
- 2 Tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch himalayan salt
For the Dough
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, yeast, and salt. Add sugar and whisk until combined.
- Next, add milk, coconut oil, and pumpkin puree, and using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir ingredients until fully incorporated and dough comes together. It will be a bit sticky - that's ok!
- Cover with plastic wrap and a towel over top, then place in a dark warm place for the dough to proof/rise. I use my oven to do this. Allow 1 to 1 1/2 hours for the dough to rise.
For the Filling
- In a bowl, combine well the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
For the Frosting
- In a stand or hand mixer, whisk vegan butter on medium until smooth and light in texture, then turn mixer down to low and add icing sugar, whisking gently until all of the sugar is incorporated with the butter. Increase speed back to medium high and continue whisking until icing is smooth and silky.
- Finally, add the lemon juice and salt, and whisk a few seconds more until everything is mixed beautifully.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease 2 - 9"x12" pans and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place dough on a clean work surface dusted with flour, knead dough using flour (sprinkling more as needed) until it's no longer sticky and you've formed a nice ball.
- Divide dough in half to make it easier to work with. Place other half back in the bowl. Working with the first half, and using a rolling pin, spread and shape the dough into a 1/4" thick rectangle.
- Next, take about 1-1 1/2 tbsp of softened coconut oil and spread it all over dough. Then generously sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture (the filling), covering entire surface of dough.
- Then, starting with the edge closest to you, tightly and gently roll the dough. Once it's evenly rolled up, slice the dough/log into 2" pieces.
- Place cut rolls onto prepared pan, evenly spaced apart (about 1"-1 1/2" or so inches) and allow rolls to rest 20-30 minutes for best results.
- Repeat steps with the second half of the dough.
- Bake in preheated ovens for 25 minutes, until rolls are a light golden brown in color. Allow rolls to cool slightly before slathering icing and enjoy utter goodness!!