We are wrapping up 2017 in a few more days!!! You kidding me!? This year has literally flown by. The nice thing about the new year though is that it allows us to reflect on the things we can improve upon and gives us the chance to work hard towards achieving our dreams and goals.
One of my goals for 2018 is to help educate my kids’ school and our community about food allergies (FAs). Still trying to figure out how to approach it but I’m determined to spread the word, so-to-speak. I read some stats a week ago about FAs that I didn’t even know.
For example, did you know that almost half a million kids across Canada have food allergies? And 75% of Canadians with FAs who were surveyed said they’re not comfortable eating at restaurants (totally) and don’t trust to have their kids with FAs eat out either (also, totally). And that’s just here at home. Imagine all the other countries around the world.
*Stats from Food Allergy Canada
Makes all the late nights, umpteen test batches, perfecting recipes and sharing them with you that much more meaningful. :)
One thing I know people will be doing a lot of is paying attention to their health, if only temporarily. Just keepin’ it real. Gym memberships will skyrocket (can you buy stock in a gym btw?) and healthier meal options will be the focus.
So start the new year off right with these totally AMAZING Sweet Potato Wedges.
If you’re not a fan of sweet potatoes, don’t worry you will be. You must! They’re loaded with vitamins A, C, and B’s. They’re also a great source of manganese, potassium, fiber, copper (!) and they’re low on the glycemic index for those of you who look for that.
And if that wasn’t enough, this recipe also happens to be priority allergens free – specifically free from:
- tree nuts
- animal products
Plus, it’s sugar free! There’s no need for it since these delicious wedges are sweet on their own. Instead, the spices add a beautiful contrast to the sweetness that I know you’re going to love.
Whenever I make Sweet Potato Wedges, my intention is to serve them as a side but I end up eating them as my main dish. It’s a good thing they’re good for you – so load up on these babies!
I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your readership and loyalty to NDNC, for making my recipes and sharing your creations with me, and for your wonderful feedback (both good and constructive). 2017 has been great, and my hope for No Dairy No Cry for the new year is for it to flourish and prosper!
Wishing you all a wonderful, safe, and happy new year friends! Lots of love. xx
Sweet Potato Wedges
- 5-6 sweet potatoes washed and cleaned, halved twice, skin-on (optional)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1 Tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- ¾ Tsp or to taste sea salt
- Fresh lemon juice from ½ a lemon
- Preheat oven to 450F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place cut potatoes on the baking sheet, and drizzle olive oil all over, massaging the potatoes to get them coated.
- Sprinkle cumin, paprika, and garlic powder over potatoes and work the spices using your hands to get an even coating.
- Finally season with sea salt then place in preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, until sweet potatoes turn a beautiful dark orange and slightly charred on the edges.
- Remove from oven, squeeze fresh lemon juice all over potatoes. Let slightly cool before enjoying - to avoid burning your tongue!