Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Such a classic treat loved by young and old; even hairy little monsters … hello Cookie Monster!
I remember the first time I made allergy free cookies, the whole experience was foreign to me. Developing recipes was challenging because I lacked the experience and the confidence to experiment in the kitchen. I didn’t even know where to start and I was scared to try because I didn’t want to fail. So I relied on tried-and true recipes and prayed the substitutions would work.
Thankfully, those days are far behind me. I looove experimenting and trying different ways to make foods. It’s actually a lot of fun – most of the time, of course. Some days, I don’t want to look at my kitchen… but then again that’s impossible because it’s literally attached to my family room :D I was meant to be there. Munsur says to me: “if you put a bed in here this would be your house. You’re always in here!” Smart 8 year old.
OK – back to these Chocolate Chip Cookies!
They’re soft, they’re loaded with chocolate, and most importantly, they’re super quick and easy to make.
It’s hard to resist any baked goods, especially chocolate chip cookies. I love dunking them in milk (yes I still do that! Is that silly? And of course dairy-free milk always and forever!), I also love making them for family and friends, and baking them for school bake sales. They’re simply irresistible.
These absolutely amazing soft melt-in-your-mouth Chocolate Chip Cookies are free from:
- tree nuts
- animal product
This recipe is going to wow you in the best of ways. Made with healthy fat, dark chocolate, simple everyday ingredients already found in your cupboards. You HAVE to give this recipe a try. Oh my God! Almost forgot the best part ever. There’s no need for your mixer with this recipe!
Isn’t that amazing!? A chocolate chip recipe where creaming your butter and sugar isn’t required because there’s no butter to cream :D See, I told you you’d be impressed.
The one thing I will totally recommend you do, something that I didn’t care to do beforehand but realized how crazy I had been for not doing it… is to chill your dough before you pop them in the oven.
Allow me explain.
I hate having to wait on anything I’m making. Not while it’s in the oven, but the prep time. I do my best to ensure that my recipes are straightforward, from bowl to your oven in less than an hour.
However. I thought I’d see for myself if chilling cookie dough before baking really makes a different. YES. It. Does!! The taste was the same. The thing that was noticeable was that the chilled cookies retained their shape much better than the ones that went into the oven right away.
See pics below for visual reference. Seeing is truly believing. The image on the left is of the cookie doughs that were baked right away with no chill time, and the one on the right was after the chilling time. Don’t worry, no cookie was hurt in this experiment nor were ANY left behind :D
So, if you don’t care that your cookies will be thinned out then by all means bake right away. They’ll still come out flipping delicious. If however, you want that “instagram cookie” look, then chill.
Don’t worry though, because my chilling time takes 15 minutes instead of the few hours to overnight as most recipes out there suggest, this recipe is no hassle and there’s no patience required.
By using coconut oil and freezing the shaped cookie doughs. I know, pretty genius of me.
What do you mean I’m not the first to think of this??? I beg to differ!
Make these Chocolate Chip Cookies and let’s chat on here. Give me your feedback and I’ll be forever grateful if you could also rate this recipe. You guys rock. I also always love chatting with you on Insta and FB – so keep the conversations going there too!
Happy baking, my amazing friends xx
The BEST Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever
- 2 C flour
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 2/3 C packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 C sugar
- 3/4 C coconut oil, refined preferred - room temp
- 1/4 C water, room temp
- 1 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 C dairy free chocolate chips, I use Enjoy Life Brand
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and whisk together until fully combined.
- In another bowl, combine together well the coconut oil, sugars, water, and vanilla. Use your hand - It makes the mixing process the easiest! Otherwise use a whisk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix and using a wooden spoon or a sturdy spatula, stir everything well until batter comes together. Use your hand here too and knead cookie dough - trust me it makes for easy combining.
- Place cookies in the freezer for 15 - 20 minutes. Then remove from freezer and place in preheated oven and bake anywhere from 12 - 15 minutes. See notes for more on baking times.
- Remove from oven and leave on the baking tray for 3 minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a lidded container at room temp.