This Apple Galette offers a sweet taste that’s balanced by the saltiness of the crust. Absolutely a must try! There is a ton of apples in this recipe and let me tell you how amazing this thing turned out! The Pink Lady apples are my favourite apples by far – crispy yet sweet and slightly tart! So if you can get your hands on those, you won’t regret it.
And the combination of the apples paired with the lemon is a match made in fruit heaven! I’ve made it easy for you to make so give it a go and let me know how it turns out for you!
Vegan Apple Galette Yields: 1 large pie, or 2 small pies
1/4C plus 2Tbsp almond meal/flour
1/2Tsp sea salt
1/2C Earth Balance/Vegan spread, cut into small pieces
1/4C iced water
4 apples (I used 2 Pink Lady and 2 Golden Delicious), washed, peeled, and sliced.
Zest of 1 lemon and
Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2Tsp
2Tbsp almond meal
1/4C plus 1Tbsp packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 380°F and have a baking sheet with parchment paper ready. Set aside.
2. To make the crust, and using either your hands or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine flour, almond meal, sugar, and salt.
3. Add cut vegan spread to flour mix and combine on medium speed until dough becomes crumbly in texture.
4. Then, discard ice cubes and slowly drizzle iced water into dough, and beat on medium speed for approximately 45 seconds. Make sure you don’t over beat the dough; you want the vegan spread to not be completely mixed in – that’s what gives the pie crust its crispy airy-ness quality!
5. place dough onto clean work surface, shape it into a circle, and wrap with Saran wrap. Place in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
6. To make the filling, wash, peel, and cut the apples in thin slices, about 1/8″ – 1/4″ thick. Place in a bowl and add lemon juice over them to prevent apples from browning.
7. Next, add lemon zest, almond meal, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch to the apples and mix very well until apples are fully coated in the mix. Resist the urge to eat the apples as I’ve shamelessly done while making this galette.. :)
8. Once your filling is prepared, remove dough from fridge and place on a clean working surface. Try to work with the dough as swiftly as you can because the dough is at the right temperature at this point which will result in a light and crispy crust. Roll dough using a rolling pin (recommended) into a slightly thin circle – about 1/8″ thick.
Tip: the beauty of this recipe and crust, is you don’t need to get it shaped perfectly circular. You want that rustic, homemade look to shine through..because after all it is homemade :) Have fun when you’re baking and enjoy the process!
9. Pile the filling in the centre of the dough and spread it out, leaving about an inch or so free, as shown.
10. Gently fold dough over and tuck some of the apples inside crust. Continue doing so until entire dough is folded, as shown.
11. Place on the prepared baking sheet and into the oven for 40 minutes, until crust is perfectly baked through and the filling is bubbling and oozing yumminess!
12. Remove galette, and using a pastry brush or a small spoon, brush or drizzle some softened coconut oil or vegan spread on the crust to give it a nice glisten and also allow the crust to become flakier as it cools down.
Let it rest for about 5 or so minutes before diving in!
Bon appétit! xo