This has to be one of my favourite things to eat..because I tend to eat a lot of it! And I mean a lot! And the thing is, I don’t feel guilty for stuffing my face with this meal. Perhaps it’s because my mind knows I’m consuming pure goodness? Who knows. But what I do know is that you will love this dish just as much as I do, and you will understand what I mean when you take a bite out of this delicious and wholesome vegetarian concoction!
These vegetables really complement one another well. The tanginess from the tomatoes offsets the sweetness of the cooked onions, and that eggplant is just melt-in-your-mouth goodness that you won’t be able to resist! If my kids love this dish, you know that you have a winner.
This Vegan Eggplant Tomato Medley is simple to make and absolutely delicious on its own, or served as a side to a main course. Either way, get to making it tonight!
- 3 large eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, OR
- 8 Roma tomatoes or the like, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400F on convection roast (or 415F on bake) and have baking pan lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Next, peel and cube eggplants and place in the prepared baking sheet. It will look like a ton of eggplants but trust me, the heat will cause the eggplants to wilt and soften, so you’ll be glad you prepared that much!
3. Repeat step 2 with both tomatoes and onions, and add to pan with the eggplants.
4. Add oil and using your hands, toss the vegetables to help absorb the oil.
5. Finally, season with salt and cumin, do a quick toss again, and place in the oven for 30 minutes, until eggplants are slightly charred, and tomatoes and onions are cooked through.
6. Remove from oven, and using a spoon, gently toss the vegetables together and taste to see if you need to add more salt. I always find I need to add a touch more salt, so this is when I do it.
Enjoy as is or serve alongside cooked quinoa (recipe to come) for the extra nutrition, taste, and protein.
Bon appétit! xo