These salted caramel chocolate mousse cupcakes are so light and tasty yet decadent and sinful at the same time. There’s an explosion of flavours that happens in your mouth with the combination of the salted caramel, the airiness of the chocolate mousse, and the fluffiness of the chocolate cupcake. Delicious and quite simple to make. Just beautiful!
Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes Yields: ~24 cupcakes
2C flour, sifted
3/4C packed brown sugar
1/2C cocoa powder, sifted
1Tsp baking soda
1Tsp baking powder
1C coconut milk
1/2C coconut oil, melted
2Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/4C plus 2Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix all the sifted dry ingredients in a stand mixer or hand mixer on low speed until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sugars, milk, and oil.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the flax and water until frothy. Then add to the wet mixture and whisk until combined.
5. Add the wet mixed ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
6. Pour into cupcake liners as shown. You’ll want to fill the liners to about 1/2 way for a cupcake or 3/4 way full for more of a muffin top. Your choice…I prefer the look of a cupcake personally :)
Tip: Alternatively, you can make this into a cake. This recipe should make enough batter for 2 – 8″ or 9″ cake pans. Cook time will be longer. Tack on another 10 minutes or so until toothpick inserted comes out nice and clean.
7. Place in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely before adding the mousse.
8. Using a pipe tip or a spoon, add a nice dollop of chocolate mousse.
9. Next, drizzle that deliciously sinful caramel sauce over top the mousse. Crush some sea salt (or pink Himalayan sea salt if you happen to have it in your pantry) and please, go ahead and dive in!
Tip: Feel free to enjoy these cupcakes warm. If you don’t want to add the mousse then you can just drizzle the caramel sauce with some sea salt and enjoy!
Bon appétit! xo