When I hear the name of this cookie I giggle a bit. Not sure where the name came from and there seems to be a few theories floating around the internet. But whatever the answer, these cookies are amazing! And so simple to make too!
A good friend of my husband’s was over one night and I thought I’d try making Snickerdoodles for them (you see, any time someone is over, I take full advantage and make them my tasters haha)! So tried I did, and I got two thumbs up!
What a relief. I always seem to experiment with new recipes when I’m expecting company. Why the added and certainly un-needed stress I’ll never understand about myself. But hey it seems to work… most times :)
These delicious cookies are special in that they’re rolled in a mix of sugar and cinnamon. Yum! When they’re baking in the oven, the sugar hardens and offers that crunchy texture before you bite into the soft core!
Give this recipe a try because you and whoever else lays a hand on them will love these Vegan Snickerdoodles!
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/4 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 C vegan spread
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vegan coconut yogurt, or vegan yogurt of choice
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- 2 C flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven at 350F. Have baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Mix together sugar and ground cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a hand mixer, start by beating vegan spread and sugars on high until fluffy and creamy.
4. Add coconut yogurt and mix well. Scrape bowl down and remix to ensure full mixing.
5. Add hot water and mix.
While the wet ingredients are mixing, prepare the dry ingredients.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking flour, and salt.
7. Turn mixer speed on low and add the dry ingredients to the sugar mix. Once they’re incorporated turn mixer speed on high and beat for a few more seconds until the dough comes together.
Tip: Don’t overwork the dough!
8. Using either a spoon or an ice cream scoop, shape dough into small balls and roll each ball into the prepared sugar/cinnamon mix.
9. Place sugared balls onto prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until cookie tops slightly crack open, as shown.
Remove from oven and let cool slightly before enjoying.
Bon appétit! xo