Free from: dairy, egg, soy, peanut, tree nuts, sesame, mustard, animal product, animal by-product.
Strawberries are synonymous with beautiful warm summery weather. When picked at their peak ripeness, they’re exceptionally sweet and flavourful. There are umpteen things I’d like to make with these red jewels, but for now, feast your eyes on these beauties! These cupcakes were a huge hit in Munsur’s class! And why wouldn’t they be?! They’re vegan, delicious, and full of strawberries! Healthy and delightful to your taste buds. :)
- 1/2C Earth Balance organic vegan spread, or vegan spread of choice
- 1C white sugar
- 1/4C brown sugar
- 1/4C YOSO vegan coconut yogurt, or vegan yogurt of choice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1C fresh strawberries (~ 10), diced
- 1Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2C flour, sifted
- 2Tsp baking powder
- 1/2Tsp sea salt
- 1/2C coconut milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
1. Preheat oven to 325F and line muffin tins with liners. Set aside.
2. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegan spread and sugars on high speed, until light and buttery soft.
3. Add yogurt and continue beating until fully combined. Scrape down bowl and remix.
4. While the batter is mixing, prepare the dry ingredients. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
5. Next, dice strawberries and place in another bowl. Add lemon zest and lemon juice to the strawberries and lightly combine. Set aside.
5. Lower mixer speed to low and add 1/2 of flour mixture, and let combine with wet ingredients in the bowl.
6. Then, bring speed up to medium and add milk into the mix. Mix until incorporated.
7. Finally, decrease speed once more to add the last 1/2 of the flour mixture. Once the batter comes together, increase speed to medium and beat just until incorporated (a few seconds).
Note: It’s ok if there’s still some flour in the batter. You don’t want to over mix to allow for the strawberries and its juices to hold well in the batter.
8. Next, add prepared strawberries into the batter and gently fold using a spatula.
9. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, and place in the oven for 25 minutes, until very lightly golden on top and toothpick or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Let cool for about 10 minutes before enjoying!
These cupcakes keep for a few days in an airtight lidded container. (Not applicable in my home!!)
I topped these amazing cupcakes with the best vegan icing that will withstand the summer heat! Look for the recipe soon…hey, I have to keep you wanting more right?! ;)
Hope you love them as much as we do!
Bon appétit! xo