I just made these delicious things and loved them so much I had to ignore everything around me to blog about them!
I don’t know about you, but the best part about a muffin for me has always been the top. I thought for a long time about making them – and I had the chance to do so today thanks to the unbelievable amount of snow we got last night!
Vegan Wild Blueberries and Key Lime Muffin Top Cookies are so soft on the inside like cake, but hold together beautifully because you’re only getting the best part of the muffin which is the top. Simple to make too!
If you don’t have key limes around in the fridge, replace with lime or even lemons which will lend an even fruitier note! Trust me they will not last once they come out of the oven – yes, that good!
Vegan Wild Blueberry and Key Lime Muffin Top Cookies Yields: 16-18 Cookies
2C flour, sifted
1Tbsp baking powder
1Tsp baking soda
1/4C coconut oil, softened
1Tbsp ground flax seeds
3Tbsp warm water
2Tbsp key lime zest (about 9)
Juice of 2 key limes (1 1/2Tbsp)
1Tsp vanilla extract
1C coconut milk
1 1/2C fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and have a baking sheet lined with parchment paper ready. Set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In a cup or bowl, combine coconut milk and lime juice. Stir a couple of times and set aside. This process helps to sour the milk.
4. In a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and softened coconut oil on high until well combined, about 3 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together flax and water and add to sugar mix. Continue beating for a minute more. Add Lime zest. Beat.
6. Next, add soured coconut milk and beat on medium speed for a couple of minutes, until incorporated. You may need to scrape the bowl down.
7. Add vanilla extract. Mix.
8. Next, add wet mix to dry ingredients and fold the mixture until just incorporated. It’s ok if you still see some flour. This will help the blueberries remain in place and not sink to the bottom of the cookie.
9. Add blueberries and fold a few times until well distributed in the dough.
10. Drop two heaping tablespoons worth (1/8C) of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Be sure to space the cookies apart (about 2 inches) to avoid touching.
11.Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until muffin top cookies are nicely baked through.
12. Remove and enjoy warm right out of the oven or let cool.
Simple. Healthy. Delicious.
Bon appétit! xo